Saturday, December 05, 2009

Whoville

So I have been thinking alot lately about Who-Ville and little Cindy LooHoo. Random, sort of and sort of not. Of course the holiday season is here and who cant admit that they love seeing the favorites:

Cindy Lou Who, who is no more than 2, hates the Grinch
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman
There is drama, good character development, and the good guys win and Christmas happens.
So why Cindy Loo Hoo?
When i got married I assumed I would change my name. I have no regrets. But at the same time It is weird and somewhat sad to me to lose my middle name AND my last name. When I went to change my license the guy had to literally WALK ME THRU each part saying:
"Ok now write your OLD name..."
"Now sign your NEW name..."
I was shaking, it was very confusing. Yesterday I went to Social Security and I wasnt shaking. So I think i am getting the hang of this and feel a bit less like I am in Whoville?

Today when i changed my FB name I all the sudden thought "OMG, what if someone cant find me?" And on FB of all places! Lol. Of course someone not finding me on FB is hardly my first worry, but it does make me sad that all my peeps who used to call me MAIRS, wont do that anymore. And if i ever wanted to get a butt name on my tri gear it is for sure now going to be JULIA. That is ok, actually.
But in some ways this is fine. I am happy with my new name and obviously more than happy with WHY I have that new name. And as i have gone from being mis-pronounced as
MEYERs or MEIRS or MAVIS ( it is MAIRS but pronounced like the planet MARS)
to
WEEESBECKER ( it is pronounced WEYEsbecker) it is all fine.
So even if i feel a bit lost like Lucy LooHoo I know who i am.
One funny name change story is that I had to change my USAT name. They wanted a faxed copy of my marriage license. The more i thought about it I suppose I could have said my name is now "Laura Bennett" or "Jennifer Harrison" hahaha. Nope no funny stuff here.


So Why the New Hampshire granite statue in this post?

Well since i am on a tangent anyways...
Dr. Seuss went to Dartmouth. Which made me think of this saying. And did you SoCal peeps know that Theodore Geisel also lived in La Jolla up until his death? Fascinating I know.

12 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Your name has a lovely ring to it. :) And it would totally fit across your butt on the racing kit. Congratulations - :) YEA!

Mary Eggers said...

I went through the same thing, I almost felt like I was losing part of my father when I changed my name. It was weird to write the new one...... but it moved me to the front of the alphabet and I got to change my initials from MW to ME! Kind of fun!

Beth said...

Do like Marit and you get to keep your old name too! :) You'll get used to it. Although unlike Mary I went from the front of the line (Buchheit) to the back of the line (Shutt). Oh, and a quick funny story. I got married in June and then started grad school in August. First day of biochem I'm looking through the roster and just frantic that my name isn't on there to be registered for the class. WHAT THE HECK??? Of course later I realized that my name was on there...just a bit farther down than I was used to looking. ;)

Molly said...

Ha! It will take a while to get used to, but your new name sounds great all put together! :)

Michelle Simmons said...

That's funny- I remember trying to change my name with USAT... I didn't gave easy access to a fax machine though so I was like 'screw it'... So all year when I was picking up race packets I always showed both of my ID's and said that I'd just gotten married and hadn't had a chance to change it yet. Worked every time, even in Kona. Ha! I suppose next time I register I'll just register as a new member, which will be sad bc I've had the same USAT # since 1995! And I've got it memorized. On second thought, maybe that is just sad. ;)

Damie said...

That is why I kept the full name- Damie (first) Eileen (middle) Turpin (once last name turned second middle name) Roberts (married last name). I just couldn't part with my old names?????!!!! ha ha!

Angela and David said...

I still miss my maiden name. I don't look at all Italian so the last name was really all that I had that was Italian. But it is nice not to spell it all the time. And I also struggled with USAT. It was easier to change my license.

Unknown said...

Funny, I just saw a post on FB and was wondering who the heck Julia Weisbecker was! I clicked on your name and was like duh! I like it! I do miss my maiden name and it's been over 11 years. However, it's not gone as I've made it my middle name.

Jennifer Harrison said...

ha! Crack me up! I think you should choose Laura Bennett! :) lol

Anyway, I remember all of this...but I was younger @ 27, so it is SO much different in your 20s, IMO.

but, I did the next best thing, I wanted to name GRAHAM - Parker...(Parker is my maiden name) so insteady my sister named her son PARKER and Graham is GRAHAM PARKER....so it all works out.

:)

TriGirl Kate O said...

I was very happy to leave the maiden name in my past...growing up as "Katie Cunningham" was too sing-songy and it was at the height of Happy Days popularity so I got a lot of "Do you have a brother named Richie?" comments. Luckily #1 son kept the Cunningham for his middle name, which worked out well.

Charisa said...

It is fascinating :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Personally, I would have gone with "Jennifer Harrison." You 2 treat me the same anyway... ;)

We need to get together to talk about what I should do once my 2 weeks of rest is over! Well, we don't NEED to, but I'd love to pick your brain. Ninas sometime?...

Oh, and thanks for the pronunciation on your new name. I'm STILL sure I'll butcher it sometime. Sorry in advance!