Wednesday, December 02, 2009

What's up?

When Kari emailed me today saying "What's up?" I had to send her the honest answer. At that moment, my front trainer wheel was up. 6 inchs to be exact. And i was finishing my first trainer ride of the year. One hour. Hills. And it wasnt fun. Actually it would have been fun if i hadnt started back to strength yesterday. ( see Marit) Wow. Who would have known that doing lunges, smith machine, and some leg press, all at about 50-75% of the weight I used to do, would put me in the hurt locker. I mean it isnt even 48 hours. Oh yea, good things to come. Great.

So what else is up? Kinda boring after all the great honeymoon pics. But here goes, in no particular order:

-Thanksgiving was great. Lots of good food and company. won a pie. Dont really like pie all that much, so next year I am going to ask if they will bring along cool whip/ or reddi-whip. I like that. Then someone else can have the pie.

-Work is good. Busy. I am starting to teach a balance class for my seniors and I am so excited. They all think they arent "Good enough" to take the class. So we have some learning to do on "That is why you are taking the class."

-MN weather has been SPLENDID. I mean is it really 32 out? and no wind? Well things are brewing and according to the forecast the party is over. Bleck. just means I get to suffer a bit more outside, break out the LAKE winter boots and all the chemical heat warmers. But ya know. I am still riding outside, if the windchill is too low then no, but gotta get out.

- Beets. I love them. There are so many pretty colors in them, I got a kind that when you cut it it looked like a candy cane. I roast them with some sea salt and olive oil, and they are ranking up there with the roasted Kale. Sadly I could eat an entire plate of each of these which leads to...

-Both Rich and I have had stomach aches at night. Not sure why, but likely do to the above.
He has to watch what he is eating and not eat too many veggies/fiber. But he can eat pudding, and lots of satiey ( fat) and he is still losing weight. Sounds lovely, but in all honesty it is bc he isnt absorbing all the nutrients/Kcals so it is just how it is. Me, on the other hand, I am absorbing it for him. ha!

-December will be good. Lots to be thankful for and lots to look forward to.

15 comments:

Pedergraham said...

Beets are the best. (The ones you had are chioggas.) I always hated them when I was little and then I had my first ever that was not from a jar/can and fell in love. Hope both of your tummies are feeling better today.

Rebecca DeWire said...

I am a big fan of beets, too! My mom grew a bunch in the garden this year and pickled them. I was lucky enough to snag a jar, talk about yummy!

Beth said...

Uh oh, time to make Rich drink Ensure? ;) I'm sure you can find a way to fatten him up!

And beets? YUCK! (but if you like 'em, they are gooood for you! :)

runningyankee said...

SWEET a media mention. love it. and whats up is we need to start thinking about tucson. never too early to plan some fun :)

Anonymous said...

Leg press machines are junk, go right for regular squats. REad up on it if you disagree.

Damie said...

I don't know how I missed your wedding pics- i just caught up! You look so beautiful in them!!!!! what a great day! Oh, and I can I have your outline for seniors balance class? I could totally use that with my patients.

GoBigGreen said...

Dave is that you? Leg press is junk ;) but when you do unilateral leg press with a certain goal in mind it all works out. But thanks for the interest.

cheryl said...

I am way more south than you, and I can't imagine riding outside up in the great white north. A friend of mine here will ride if its above 23, and she has turned me into an insane outdoor winter rider. I've accumulated lots of good clothes, but not winter boots yet. I go for wool socks, shoes, toe covers, then full booties overtop. SO far, that's working pretty good, but I think one of these days I may go for the boots.

I like kale chips, if they get nice and crispy. Haven't tried beets that way, maybe I'll give that a try.

Anonymous said...

Just got home from eating out tonite with Cha, ordered a yummy beat and steak salad. I am totally craving beets lately myself.
The Smith rack is a good way to do squats especially to prevent injury, and if one has a shoulder issue, as I have! I started weights about 6 weeks ago, adaptation, only lifting the bar and gradually increasing from there for a full month. No soreness that way at all. Have fun with your indoor/outdoor training,mix it up, it helps a lot! SSBT

Trigirlpink said...

Weather here in Boston has been SWEET too! Yesterday it was 65! eeks.... I haven't been on my bike since Longhorn 70.3.

Happy holidays!

Angela and David said...

Your post makes me want to give beats a second chance. I was anemic as a kid and had to eat lots of beats and liver and have stayed away from both ever since. But maybe I've been unfair to beats all these years.

Steve Stenzel said...

Beets are gross. Good luck with the tummy aches!

Marit C-L said...

Oh man - not a big fan of beets... then again, I've never really had them prepared all that well...

Good luck with the delayed onset muscle soreness... ha! I finally feel better - and then go to a pilates class. My abs are already hurting. Small sigh. But the price we pay for getting back in shape.

NICE on the pie!! Woo hoo!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

balance class eh? good idea! the geriatric patient population is definitely growing on me although I'll still never do acute! it's amazing how much PTs can help them and balance training does wonders!

but beats ewww gross :(

Eileen Swanson said...

Yay for good weather! So glad to catch up with all your good happenin's.....Fantastic stuff, happy girl! Sorry I've been MIA on the blog stuff ;-))