Monday, May 07, 2012

Quick St. Croix update

I'm using my dads iPad so excuse my inadequate skills! But we are alive and well but WET! I ve not seen this much ever, since my arrival I've seen the sun 0 times and blue sky 1x. So other than this blowing what we planned to be a post race water sports vacation we are laughing at the amount of HBO being watched and books being read. Feels like what we've done all winter!! A formal race report will follow but we have no WiFi at our ghetto hotel. We do have roosters and domestic abuse screams so who needs wifi! I'm pleased as heck with the day bc I stayed upright. Going up the Beast was harder than anything on a wet road but I only had one pedal stroke that had me thinking I'd walk. And spinning out into oncoming traffic was all I needed to be a pansy and ride a lot slower bc I started wishing I'd flat before I crashed. Neither happened luckily. IM said there were no serious crashes but Rich counted at least 3 ambulances and 10 to the hospital. I guess nobody died so its a safe race! Just user error I'm sure. I swam well. Rode smart and looked forward to hills bc I couldn't crash going up, ran smart and know I'm lucky it wasn't sunny. You can't simulate this heat and humidity In MN or AZ. And best of all I felt like I could have kept going in any of the three disciplines. So good IM training. Nailed the nutrition and salts. Total relief after over salting at Madison. While I enjoyed the race Im not sure id return to race. The Islanders are gracious and so supportive it's hard to not want to come race again. They make you feel like Lance! But the Beast is off the bucket list so may just leave this as a great early season race! More race report to come. You know the one where I tell you just what Lance really looks like in his speed suit.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Great to hear it went so well (nutrition and otherwise) and you were pleased with your day!! Of course you picked the one year of the race when it's not sunny... :( Hope you can still enjoy some vacation time!! Congrats!

Damie said...

Hm!!! I didn't know you over-salted at WIS- we need to chat. Would love to hear how you figured it out. Glad you nailed it. Sucks that it is raining, though. Just come home and do a race with me! :)

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO! Way to go!

ADC said...

Well done. Shame about the weather.

elizabeth said...

Roosters and domestic abuse screams, but no wifi?!? Bummer and yikes! Sorry about the weather, that's no fun! And iPads are HARD to type on!

Caroline said...

Julia!!! Great job on what sounds like a TOUGH race with some scary conditions (spinning out into oncoming traffic = NOT fun I am sure)! Glad you were able to nail everything and KICK BUTT!

PS - I had another salty nut roll tonight - those things are awesome and you rock for sending me a stash!