Thursday, April 02, 2009

KFC





Funny how this works. I go to camp. I learn that my swim stroke is ok, but that i drop my elbow when i enter the water and I also enter the water with my thumb "down" or with my hand sideways or...to not dumb it down i am entering the water with my shoulder in Internal Rotation, SlightAbduction moving towards Adduction and full flexion to nearly 180 degrees..ie overhead. Anyone out there ever have shoulder impingement? Do you know how we test for that?
Flextion, IR, Adduction ( or lift your arm in front of you..elbow up, drop your forearm and now bring it across your body) Good thing I can treat others, but obviously not myself. This is why PT's have their own PT's.

So the point is Kari's recent entry about "make like a chicken" helped me click on a few fronts. The up and over the Barrel helped a bit too but for whatever reason TODAY it all came together. I cant say my shoulder never hurts but it sure doesnt hurt as much and today I really felt like i was grabbing the water.

I wont bore you with lotsa details but for todays swim I held 1.21, 1.20, and 1.19 on multiple 100's. I finally felt like i was grabbing the water, chicken winging thru my stroke and ALSO rotating thru my obliques and core. IT was awesome. We did some other stuff based on a 400 and my final 400 was 5.35, 15 seconds faster than the first one i did.
Sweet. I may have to pay a visit to the Colonel and get a big bucket of wings in thanks for the help with my stroke.
On second thought i think i will just thank Kari.

6 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Yee-haaawww! NICE job on the swim stroke and with the swimming - that's great! :) Oh - and LOVE the picture below... I would miss Tuscon as well if I had to ride in the weather that you guys have had recently. Ugh! Sending you good vibes!

runningyankee said...

YIPPIE!!! cheers to chicken wings. who knew that would help us both to better swimming. glad you "got" it cause most people think i'm crazy. ha!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Okay you are losing me on the technical swim speak but it sure as hell sounds like the right technique to me! Keep up the good work!

Microscope World said...

YAH!!! Swimming is so hard because you can dump tons of time into it, but if your technique is not right it won't make a difference at all. Sounds like you are making awesome progress!

Anonymous said...

Julia,
Oh I love it when you talk swim talk. Kinda turns me on like car talk!
It all relates to the motor somehow right?
And being in sync with the body and mind!
Glad to known you are making such great progress with your swim.
Just me being my typical weird and tangential self!1! SSBT

Jennifer Harrison said...

OKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, I kill myself trying to get you guys to understand what I am trying to describe in the swim...and Kari uses CHICKEN WINGS and it clicks. UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE! I still can't even understand THAT one, but you know what? WHATEVER makes it clicks IS good! :) WOO